Benefits of 3M™ Foam Tape
3M™ Foam Tapes are often used to bond rough or irregular surfaces. The foam helps to absorb shock and distributes stress over the entire bonded surface. Foams are generally used over other types of bonding solutions to help fill gaps and provide damping.
Types of 3M™ Foam Tape
- Urethane Foam Tape: Urethane foam has good temperature resistance, can act as a thermal insulator, and can be easily die cut. It is open cell foam so it lacks solvent or moisture resistance and will yellow over time so it wouldn't be recommended for an outdoor environment. Application ideas include interior door, window, and cabinet seals. 3M urethane tape can also be used to help cushion, dampen sound, and absorb vibration in keyboards, printers, dash boards, etc.
- Polyethylene Foam Tape: Polyethylene foam is closed cell, so it works well in sealing applications. The foam has lower temperature resistance and lower dynamic performance than urethane, but it is more economical as a result.
- Vinyl Foam Tape: Vinyl foam tapes are flexible closed cell foams. They are often chosen when it's necessary to seal out dust, light, and moisture. Not only do they age well, but they will also remain flexible when exposed to elevated temperatures and UV light. Vinyl foam tapes are often used as a seal in appliances, computers, copiers, and other electronic and transportation equipment.
- Acrylic Foam Tape: Acrylic foam tapes are often used in the automotive industry to attach exterior trim. The foam provides high adhesion and stress relaxation properties and is extremely resistant to challenging environmental conditions. They offer superior long-term performance.
- Special Tapes and Adhesives
- Polycarbonate Film (Sabic Lexan) PC Film
- Surface Protection Tapes / Low tack PE Film
- Scapa Tape
- Double Side Tape - (General Purpose)
- Self Adhesive Vinyls Film (Screen Printable)
- 3M™ Adhesive Transfer Tapes
- 3M™ Single Coated Tapes
- 3M™ Double Coated Tapes
- 3M™ Electronics Assembly Solutions
- 3M™ Foam Tapes
- 3M™ Medical Materials and Technologies
- 3M™ Performance Label Materials
- 3M™ VHB™ Tapes
- 3M™ Commercial Solutions
- 3M™ Membrane Switch Spacers
- 3M™ Reclosable Fasteners